NAPEOS, the NAvigation Package for Earth Observation Satellites, is a state of the art software system for GNSS data processing and much more. NAPEOS is developed and maintained by the European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) of the European Space Agency (ESA). The NAPEOS developments started around 1995. In 2003 the GNSS capabilties started to be added a project that was finished in 2007. After significant testing the navigation support office at ESOC (OPS-GN) started to use the NAPEOS software in January 2008 for all its IGS activities.
A significant number of companies and individuals have been involved in the development of the NAPEOS software. Of course the major part of the GNSS work has been done at the navigation support office (OPS-GN) at ESOC. But besides OPS-GN there is one company that deserves special mentioning here, and that is the Spanish based company GMV. GMV has been responsible for major parts of the acutal programming of the NAPEOS source code.
At OPS-GN, in ESOC, NAPEOS supports all the activities in the International GNSS Service (IGS), the International DORIS Service (IDS), the International Laser Ranging Service (ILRS), and other international scientific communities. NAPEOS is also used for the routine precise orbit determination (POD) of several LEO missions, e.g., the ESA ENVISAT mission.
NAPEOS allows fully automated, robust, and reliable GNSS processing at the highest accuracy levels achievable today. The NAPEOS performance is practically unrivalled in the GNSS world, in particular its processing efficiency is superb.
NAPEOS in the IGS
Since January 2008 OPS-GN at ESOC uses the NAPEOS software for all its GNSS activities including generating the products for the International GNSS Service (IGS). Within the IGS the products of ESOC are amongst the best. This can be seen by looking at the results of the ESA products in the plots at the IGS analysis centre coordinator web-site. This means that the NAPEOS software is at least as good as other well established GNSS processing software packages.
high accuracy GNSS solutions are
based on the NAPEOS software. Because of its quality, efficiency, ease
operations, and its processing speed we believe NAPEOS is the best
GNSS processing software available on the market today. As PosiTim our
to make NAPEOS the most used GNSS post processing software worldwide.
NAPEOS is excellent for all GNSS processign applications. Some examples are:
- Precise Point Positioning (PPP)
- Using accurate orbit and
satellite clock information, e.g., from the IGS
- Precise Network Positioning
- Similar to PPP but using
multiple stations and performing integer ambiguity resolution between
- Precise Network Solutions
- Normal GNSS processing using accurate orbit information, e.g., from the IGS
- E.g. applicable for the processing of the EUREF and PBO networks
- True GNSS processing:
- Global GNSS Solutions (IGS solutions)
- Estimating station coordinates, satellite orbits, Earth rotation parameters, etc. etc.
- Normal equation stacking
- Combining different network solutions
- Combining time series of solutions
- And many many more
- Low Earth Orbiter (LEO) precise orbit determination (POD)
- Time transfer
- Fast and efficient processing
- Large station networks (>100 stations) can be processed, including ambiguity resolution, within 30 minutes on a standard PC.
- Fully automated processing
- Very easy to set-up
Who should use NAPEOS
Institutions and people who should be interested in NAPEOS are:
- GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, etc) scientists
- GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, etc) research and education facilities
- Institutes responsible for the maintainence of premanent GNSS networks
- Institutes responsible for high accuracy GNSS surveys, e.g., in first order geodetic networks
- Organisations running permanent GNSS networks for high accuracy applications
- Organisations doing precise
orbit determination (POD)
- and many many more...
Institutes using NAPEOS for high accuracy GNSS
Institutes that are currently using NAPEOS for GNSS activities:
- ESOC/ESA for all its GNSS activities and more
- EUMETSAT for METOP-A precise orbit determination for atmospheric sounding
- PosiTim for high accuracy real time orbit solutions
- Soluciones Avanzadas Canarias S.L. for diverse applications
- and many more